In February, 2007, the Olde Towne of Flushing Burial Ground Conservancy was formed to ensure that the newly reclaimed site will be properly used and maintained.
One of the problems that became apparent is that the community is not recognizing the site as a cemetery, and is using it for inappropriate activities, such as ignoring the “no dogs allowed” sign and holding sports practices. To this end, the Conservancy has a list of goals
Changing the site name from “Martins Field” to “Olde Towne of Flushing Burial Ground.”
NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation unanimously voted to add it to the New York State’s Register of Historic Places on December 7, 2017.
On Feburary 7, 2018, the National Register of Historic Places also honored the site by including it.
The Parks Dept. must modify the signage that refers to the site as a “park” instead of a burial ground.
The City of New York is replacing the headstones destroyed in the 1930’s with amonument that will draw attention to the fact that the siteis a burial ground.
In the Future
The Conservancy would like to see the site added as a stop on Flushing, NY historic bus tours, and that it be used as a destination for educational field trips for local schoolchildren.